Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chapter Five

Different formats of Distance Learning (DL) language courses are introduced in this chapter.   DL is an instructional system that uses different types of technology to teach language courses online. Teleconferencing entails the use of two-way interactive TV that allows teachers to contact students at a far-off location. Hybrid or blended courses combine both classroom and individual work through the use of technology.  Virtual language courses are completely online.

After some studies researchers have found that DL can be effective.  I found it interesting that in one of the studies they mentioned that the DL students (who did better than the classroom students) were older, more mature and more self-motivated.   This makes sense of course when these DL students are responsible for paying the class ahead of time and they do not want to waste their money. 

In my opinion, I think we should do the same for K-12 Education.  Some people might disagree with me and that’s okay but I feel that ultimately our students have taken their education for granted and they do not realize what a great opportunity they have with free education.  Now, I am not saying let’s charge a ridiculous amount of money, but I would suggest charging something so parents and students feel “I am paying for this, so I better do the work.”  Grants can also be given to those with a lower income.

References:
Blake, Robert J. (2008). Brave New Digital Classroom: Technology and Foreign Language Learning. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment