Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chapter Two

I did not realize how much time my students spent using technology.  It was not until graduation day.  I had promised my senior students that I would add them as friends on my Facebook page.  Even before graduation I had requests waiting.  I added them promptly after graduation, but it did not stop there.  I had many students that requested to be friends...even lots that I did not know.  OMG...I had to add them, there were so many.  Now, I see them when I login, and they seem to be connected 24/7. 

Fortunately in this chapter, I learned the internet basics and its intent.  Its creation was to help us human beings to function better no matter our location in time.  Reading this chapter was interesting but confusing as well.  Creating a web site takes time and knowledge.  Browsing the pages is rather easy but the making is technical.  There are many steps that need to be taken to create a web page, from the HTTP to filenames to codes and much more.  Gladly, there are many programs that have been created to make this process easier with programs such as Macromedia's Dreamweaver and AOLPress. 

Moreover, a question comes about.  As a FL teacher, what am I trying to achieve?  Teach them knowledge by seeking my students' attention through what they know and enjoy.  Technology seems to be the answer.  Rather than going against them I will join them along with the tools traditionally used.     

References:
Blake, R.J. (2008). Brave new digital classroom: Technology and foreign language learning. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment